Mocingbird's research team has verified and validated with the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners to get the most up-to-date CME requirements. Here is a quick summary of things you must know:
CME Updates With Regards to COVID
- Beginning in January 2021, the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners will be pro-rating CME requirements for renewal on a one-time basis. This will give licensees a chance to catch up with CME requirements as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Licensees with January renewals must have completed 2 hours of CME in the last 12 months to renew
- Licensees with February renewals must have completed 4 hours of CME in the last 12 months to renew
- This applies with March renewals needing 6 hours, April needing 8 hours, and so on until October 2021, when all licensees who enter the renewal system should have all 20 hours of CME
License Renewal Cycle Time for Louisiana
- State license renewal occurs annually, on or before the first day of the month in which the licensee was born.
Board Rule Checklist: Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners (MD/DO)
- Complete 20 hours of Category 1 CME: Individuals can include 2 years worth of CME from both 2020 & 2021 as a result of the Board’s exception due to COVID (No CME earned in 2021 can be carried over to 2022, and so on)
- Due: Annually on or before the first day of the month in which the licensee was born
Louisiana State Specific Requirements
- 2 state-specific requirements:
- Complete 3 hours of Controlled Dangerous Substances (CDS) CME: For those who maintain a CDS license, complete at least three hours of controlled dangerous substances CME. This is a one-time task that shall be completed for if/when you do prescribe CDS- it is due at the time of license expiration.
- Board Sponsored Orientation (before first renewal of license): Licensees have one year from their initial license date to complete the board-sponsored orientation course.
Example: If licensed in January of 2020, must take the board orientation course before January 2021 renewal.
For more detailed information, please visit the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners website.
To view customized tasks regarding your LA license requirements, sign into your Mocingbird profile and your virtual assistant has already created your upcoming task list.
Drop us a note if you are interested in partnering up with us. Complete this contact form and our team will reach out with a free CME process consultation for your organization.