Mocingbird's research team has verified and validated with Texas Medical Board with the most up-to-date CME requirements. Here is a quick summary of things you must know:
Quick Texas Medical Board CME Rule Checklist (for MD/DO)
- Must complete 48 credits of continuing medical education
- 24 of those credits must be category 1 or 1A
- Minimum of 2 credits in medical ethics and/or responsibility
- Need to renew license every two years on: February 28th, May 31st, August 31st, or November 30th
- Renewal period is assigned at the time of your licensure
- Even-numbered license numbers expire on even years
- Odd-numbered license numbers expire on odd years
For example, if your license number is 44444, your license will expire on either Feb 28th, May 31st, August 31st, or November 30th on an even-numbered year, such as 2022. If your license number is 11111, your license will expire on either Feb 28th, May 31st, August 31st, or November 30th on an odd-numbered year, such as 2023.
If you renewed your licenses on or after September 1, 2020:
- 24 of those category 1 or 1A credits, at least 2 credits must be in pain management and/or prescription of opioids
- Special note to those physician's working in Pain Management Clinic:
- Complete 10 hours of CME related to pain management annually
- Complete one course in human trafficking prevention, approved by Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC)
Checklist for MD/DO working in a specific area/ treating specific cases:
- EMS Medical Directors (Off-Line Medical Director)
- Complete 1 hour of formal CME in the area of EMS medical direction every 2 years at license renewal
- Physicians who perform forensic exams on sexual assault survivors:
- Must have basic forensic evidence collection training/equivalent education
- Physicians who treat tick-borne diseases:
- Complete CME in treatment of tick-borne diseases
Important things to know about Texas Medical Board CME requirements:
- There is a maximum of 48 total excess credit hours that may be carried forward to the next license cycle requirements, and a limit of two years from the date of the registration following the period during which the hours were earned. Excess hours are applied/reported according to their Category
- The following categories may NOT be carried forward at this time, and must be acquired each biennium:
- Medical Ethics
- Professional Responsibility
- Pain Management
- Prescription of Opioids
- If in the preceding 36 months the physician becomes board certified or re-certified by a specialty board approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) or the American Osteopathic Association Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists (AOA) - the physician is exempt from all CME requirements → This exemption is valid for one registration period only.
For more information, visit the Texas Medical Board website for more details.
To view tasks regarding your personal license requirements, sign into your Mocingbird profile and your virtual assistant will create your upcoming task list.
Drop us a note if you are interested in partnering up with us. Complete this contact form and our team will reach out with a free CME process consultation for your organization.