Mocingbird's research team has verified and validated with the Washington Medical Commission the most up-to-date CME requirements for physicians. Here is a quick summary of things you must know:
License Renewal Cycle Time for Washington
- Washington state licenses for MDs must be renewed every 2 years on your birthday.
- The license renewal cycle and requirements are NOT the same for MDs and DOs.
Board Rule Checklist: State of Washington (MDs)
- Complete 200 hours of continuing education
- Due date: Every 4 years
- Complete the one-time training in suicide assessment, treatment, and management (must be at least 6 hours)
- Due date: At license expiration
- Note: You only need to comply with this CME requirement if you have not completed the one-time training yet; If you are exempt, you do not need to comply with this CME requirement
- If you provide analgesia and anesthesia administration in office-based surgical settings: Complete a one-time CME course in conscious sedation
- Due date: At third renewal after initial license date
- If you are licensed to prescribe opioids: Complete a one-time continuing education requirement regarding best practices in the prescribing of opioids (must be at least 1 hour)
- Due date: At third license renewal after January 1st, 2019, OR at third license renewal after initial license date (whichever is later)
- If you have become certified by a member board of the ABMS in the 4 years preceding the renewal due date: You do not need to complete the 200 hours of continuing education
- If you obtained a current Physician’s Recognition Award from the American Medical Association in at least 2 of the 4 years preceding the renewal due date: You do not need to complete the 200 hours of continuing education
- If you are meeting the requirements for participation in maintenance of certification of a member board of the ABMS at the time of renewal: You do not need to complete the 200 hours of continuing education
Special Note Regarding CME Hours: Continuing education hours that are in excess of the required hours earned in a reporting cycle cannot be carried forward to the next reporting cycle.
For more detailed information, please visit the Washington Medical Commission website.
*Requirements are subject to change. Please refer to your Mocingbird account for the most up-to-date accurate information.*
To view customized tasks regarding your WA license requirements, sign in to your Mocingbird profile and your virtual assistant has already created your upcoming task list.
Drop us a note if you are interested in partnering up with us. Complete this contact form and our team will reach out with a free CME process consultation for your organization.